Simplicity...
This is the topic of today's post. I was having lunch with a buddy of mine recently when he informed me that he recently purchased a new BMW 135. He asked if I wanted to go for a quick spin after lunch so I happily accepted. On the way out to the car something hit me that I never really thought of before. Maybe, I just took it for granted or never had too much of a vested interest. I realized that BMW while they make a nice car, the body style never really changes all that much. While I'm sure their have been many technical advances, they have never really strayed from the overall design template for the car. When I got in the car it was more of the same. Simple, intelligent and creative design coupled with elegant functionality and attention to detail. I immediately thought about a paper I recently read from 37Signals. This paper discussed that staying competitive in an aggressive market doesn't have to mean adding new functionality. BMW understands this very well. I know with the new GINA concept that has surfaced recently that last statement maybe considered B.S. but overall this is true.
I have come to the realization that when I write software, I need to be more time simplifying the problem and less time over complicating it. This can be very difficult when you do not always have the time to think of a simple and elegant solution. I think the best way to come to a quick solution comes with experience, however, I think putting yourself in the right state of mind can help to strengthen your understanding of how to approach a problem.
I am now in search of the best method for achieving this type of "coding-zen" if you will. Simplification, with attention to delivering the required functionality as close to perfection as possible. An elegant balance between technical intelligence and creative wisdom. If anyone would like to help, please leave a comment.
Thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment